Monday, September 18, 2006

Lockdown

Well my first Chequamegon experience has me hunrgy as a fat kid before lunch for a HUGE training load this spring double peak 07 season gunning for a finale in September. I think that once I figure somethings out I could really thrive on a course like the Birki trail. My race started with one goal in mind--pass 600 people cause they were all in my way.

Let me explain...no there is too much...let me sum up: 200 people back after Rosies. Felt great hammer, bridge, hammer, hammer, settle in a group, attack them before OO trying to bridge to the next 40 people, no go, sit up, reintegrate, foreboding leg twinge, drop group with 3 people, trade pulls, rallying, leg twinge, see sign "Seeley Fire Tower" literally say out loud, "Fuck me!" pitches up, total lockdown, off the bike, can't stand, sit down, wait till i can bend legs w/o seizing, see Ron Kay go by, "fuck no I can't let him beat me" start walking, on bike catch up to Ron, cramp, sorry Ron, walk, ride last incline, coast, pedal, cramps in quads, then hamstrings, then groin, then hip flexors, then calves, suffer last 10 miles, ended up 153....nuts.

I don't think that I've ever had that bad of cramps. I think a couple tears might've been squirt. There's something for sure to say about proper hydration/salt consumption. The race though was amazing. One of the best parts is the post race buzz--what happened, how did it go down, who did what, who had it, who didn't, a stick?!? The post race culture is soo funny...I wonder if 20 years down the line when we all are 'washed-up' if we'll reminise like Uncle Rico, "if coach would've put me in in the 4th quarter we would've went to state!" Ya never know.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice job John. It is a crazy ride huh? I think we need to break out one more ETDRR before the year is up. Maybe we should do it in a snowstorm, that would be euro. We did it when it was hot, we should do it when it is cold.

6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to know I can motivate people so well. You're the third person that said " I can't let Ron beat me" as motivation. I'm starting to get a complex.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Muraski said...

count me in for Euro trash #2! if I can find a ride to EC. Sorry bout the race John. Train hard!

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home