Monday, August 07, 2006

Tails of a Rookie

This weekend was pretty much a shmorgazbord of entertaining events (some racing some belonging to the 'other' category). Down in Shevegas Chad, Chase and I crashed at Rob's new pad (thanks a bunch Rob) Friday night before the PCW crit. After our duties of course marshaling were fufilled we threw on the kits and rollled around the course before our 4/5 race. The crit was pretty fun. I went off the front for about 10 laps trying to let the other PCW guys get a free ride in the pack. I really wanted a prime for my efforts but of course they wouldn't call one while I was out there. PCW guys did a great job always having a guy up the road for the rest of the peps to chase down. But it all ended pretty rookie I must say. I really didn't hear any of the primes being callled out or that there was 2 laps to go...I don't know, something about not having a microphone to call that stuff out might been at the root of the problem. So Chase and I finished just off the group and Chad was at the ass end of it. Nagod's though pulled out a 2nd and Street got 7th. I forgot the guy who won, but he was PCW too. Such is road racing.

So after all the dust from the WTFs setteled, Street, Nagod, Sovas and I went downtown Shevegas to Brat Days, where we heard that there was some shit going down. We got there and low and behold the International Federation of Competitive Eating's Top Eaters were being introduced WWF style with Metallica intro music and everything. ESPN was there with boom cameras and everthing televising. GMR put the event together including the huge semi sized grill. The past World Record was 35 brats held by Sonya, but with the buzz in the air you know that would be up for grabs today. Within the first 5 minutes of eating Takeru Kobayashi become the new world record holder. After 10 minutes of cramming Takeru had down-are you ready for this--58 brats!!! Yeah he's that short guy next to the dude with the hawk!
After witnessing greatness, we went back to the crit to do some more course marshaling. Fast forward to that night, the crew went to Brat Days again to watch the Violent Fems...
They were pretty interesting to watch. The best though was the bass player who was sick with the phatty chords and was wearing a kilt. So after the concert and laughing ourselves to death from watching drunk people walk through a pile of puke in there barefeet, the Sovas and I crashed at Streets place (thanks a bunch).

Calumet we go with my chamios drying outside the car...
With a short warm up (too short) we started the old call up. To my surprise the roll out was freakin easy, nobody wanted to pull and I sure as shit wasn't going to, being nicely tucked away sittin' 4th wheel. Leading into the ski hill Mitch tried to make an attack, but went more sideways than forward in the gravel. Chase, Peter, Dan and I followed Mitch into the switchback climb. My chainring seemingly undiagnosably messed up drops my chain, looks like I'm climbing in the granny today. Near the crest Chase drops us, me first then Pet and Mitch. Gaps grew and were never shut down. Road with Dan most of the race till I nailed a climb at the end of the 3 lap got the gap, made it stick, but then as a rookie beotch I am missed the finish shoot, taking the lap cut-off. I get back to the finish shoot only to see Dan rollin through in my 3rd place. Well live and learn, I was pissed though. Chase pulled out a huge W for the overall, Chad had a rerun of... well the whole summer-caught just off the back of the lead group finishing 7th.

Gas round trip $35 Food $25 Entry Fees $60 The look on Chad's Face while dicing up the rocks...priceless...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home