Monday, January 30, 2006

Bags under Booties

To all my many fans I appologize on the tardiness with which this updates comes to you. I know you have been strung out and going through Coffee and Bikes withdrawl, but alas here we are and here do we have much to talk about. What can I say I've been a little busy these past days. I was on duty Thursday and Friday, which amounted to sitting around and wondering if I'm going to have to lay some serious smack down, but ultimately got the big let down. On Friday I watched the greatest show of all time BSG (for all you not in the know...you're going to have to stay in the dark on this one) it was a good one, more sitcomy but you know not every show can leave you hanging by the edge of you seat.

I guess since this is a coffee and bikes blog I should tell you have how much I've been riding, and how hard core we've (Sova's and I) are riding in the sleety rain for back to back 2:30 hours Sat. and Sun, but you know what too often updates like that just seem like they stating the obvious--yes we road this weekend, yes it was cold, yes you probibly sat on the couch wondering when the weather man will allow you to ride, yes that is your down under's going numb from riding on the trainer, yes I cleaned my bike of in the shower and rinsed off my bike clothes at the same time, no falling on ice does not feel well, yes my legs are beinging to come around, no I don't feel like i'm on a trail to mid-season destruction with 13 hours this week, yes I think that riding at this point is for mental toughness above all. So I won't give you the play by play but that's a small taste of what how riding has been going. Now it's Mondat now, I turned in a Sed Strat lab write up, sippin' some brew and quite frankly content with taking the day off to do some much needed, and in my opinion, well deserved napping.

Basically when it comes down to it riding, though I do endulge myself in delusions of grandure, will not be a profession; I will probibly not ride for CSC or Phonak or Subaru Gary Fisher or whoever, but my decision to ride reflects a lifestyle choice. I think that my time is better spent sitting on my nether regions feeling the flexing of my legs, the expansion of my lungs, the beating of my heart, the calm of mind rather than doing couch intervals watching Laguna Beach. Well enough philosophising, riding is riding--fuck the man, ride a bike.

Coffee Tip for the Day--Proportions and Temp. Brewing coffee is a science, or at least since I'm a scientist in the making i look at it as such. I will admit that I myself down sit around with a little scale like a drug dealer (or Lance Armstrong--open for interpretations) and a thermometer, but I do consistantly measure and heat water. I say heat water because water used for brewing coffee should not be boiled but raised to the temp of 195 F, boiling occuring at 212 F, to brew brew at lower temp causes the beans to under infuse and have a thin body and to brew brew higher temps burns the beans and creates a more acidic taste. Proportions are just as important, if not more, with french press brewing in that you should have 7.25 grams per 4-5 oz of water, or in "real persons" terms 2 tablespoons per 8 oz of water. Obviously this is a little more object in that taste is primarily a determinate for optimal bean-water proportions, but that's a good place to start.

Other than that all I gotta say is keep the rubber side down. No se olvide de las piernas.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mental toughness training is very important to successful racing. Even when it is a muddy race you will embrace it because you spent many hours in the saddle in January frozen and wet. A little bit of mud on a 85 degree day is nothing!! In fact, training in warm climates may be detrimental to your mental toughness as 50 degrees may begin to seem cold!! Train on...

7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home