Saturday, April 22, 2006

This Is How We Do

Last night the Sova's and I went to the V-Ball on campus. For all those not in-the-know this is a semi-swanky formal dance on campus featuring crazy good musical groups. So the Bros and I got all duded up in our monkey suits and took out Mamma Sova and two of her friends to the dance. After some drinks and some cheese we went out to do some swing dancing. I was told I had natural style (that's how we do)! Talk about three badasses cleaning up!! After dancing we watched a couple of acapella groups, which were awesome and had some "breakfast" calling it a night at 2 am--pretty normal night for rockstars.

Waking up at 8:30 we all gathered for some breakfast and coffee. Lil' Sova was still feeling last night...

Chad was calm cool and collected--Zoolander style...
And I was feel kind of chipper...

Off to the races we went. It's been such a long time since I've done an actual warm up and felt the energy and antisipation of a race. So as we were gearing up and I caught on film Chase's secret ingredient...his special sauce that gives him that kick...


I think I gotta start adding some of the "Juice" to up my game. The 3/4 race stuck together pretty good, not too much crazy shit. A guy from GP went off the front like the second lap and just kind of hung out there, but everyone was just sitting around. I felt good and in fact I was getting kind of bored and antzy so halfway through the 3rd lap I attacted. A GP guy went with me. I drilled it like the maw-fuck that I am and tried to bridge up. Honestly I wasn't sure if I'd last the final lap, but just kept it pinned. I convinced the GP guy to help me a couple of times on the down hills since I was on my cross bike (sorry I don't know his name but huge thanks for the little minute breaks). We got on the final stretch with the two huge climbs and I dropped the GP guy, who I think had drivetrain problems. I kept at it trying to ignore the made cramping going on. I wasn't able to bridge up to the lead guy but came in a respectable 2nd place. Not bad for the first race. To date that was my best road result. Previously I'd always been the guy trying to drop everyone in the first 5 miles by hammering at the front and getting dropped soon after. This time it was more of a casual "you know what I'm just going to sit in and see what happens" tactic. I really feel that all the 40-60 min threshold workouts that have been kicking my ass lately really helped out there. I think I did a good job with 'racing your strength' because I knew that since I hadn't done any VO2 max stuff that I might not make it in a sprint, but I knew I could grind it out for an hour or so.

So now instead of going to bed super early like I want to I have to be on duty till 2 am...again. Ahh what would I do if I wasn't 21 and in college. Well gotsta go. Be sure to check in with the Sova's for there report and Tj for his stage racing escapades-good luck. Peace out peeps.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice job at the race John! Nicely played. Jess and I were at V-ball on Friday too, didn't see guys. Bummer, wanted to see y'all rip it up with the swing.

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home