Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Monty's Account of the HHH

Monty, as a guest poster, writes about his crazy experience with the Horribly Hill Hundred:

HHH:
Man, what a ride. The 124 miles took me 8 3/4 hours. I consider that a good time. It was the lowest time of any of the Oshkosh people. It was very hot, in the upper 80s and windy. 20 mph with gusts to 31mph. And yes, it was HILLY. As a matter of fact it was all hills. Go up, go down up, down, up, down... I got a great night's sleep and I stated out very strong. The hills were melting away and I could climb them all w/o too much effort. I really didn't feel any fatigue or pain until around mile 75. Some of the hills were unbelievable. Very steep. 1st gear hoping I can keep the petals turning. And I could. But a problem was brewing, I was becoming dehydrated. I thought I was drinking enough, but as I found out I was not. It was hot, so I was sweating a lot, it was also windy so a lot of sweat was evaporating and I didn't realize it. The salt rings on my shorts and jersey should have tipped me off, but when I noticed it, it was already too late.

Before I continue, a little about the course. The first big climb is just over 3 miles. We repeat these 3 miles at the very end of the ride. But instead of turning downhill to continue the ride, at the end of the ride we turn uphill and climb just under an additional mile. In the morning we parked our cars at the top of the final climb, so I knew what was coming.

Okay, back to the ride and I'm dehydrated. My blood is thick and is no longer efficient delivering oxygen to my legs and brain. I started having trouble around mile 110. Really suffering. Hoping the only remaining climb would be the final 4-mile climb. Not so, I had another HARD climb to do, then a long downhill to the last four miles (all uphill) I started the climb doing 4-5 mph. Remember I rode this at mile 8 also and really flew up it. Not so this time. After a mile or so a guy slowly passed me, I hooked on his wheel and let him pace me. Not much of a draft at 6 mph, but it was good to follow someone. After another mile he was holding me back, so I passed him at 6-7 mph. On the previous 10-15 miles my right leg would cramp, a symptom of dehydration. Very painful and all it wanted to do was straighten out. When I came to the point where we turn right to go up the final mile I could not continue. I decided to get off the bike and walk the rest of the way. Total humiliation, walking up a hill. But my legs would have no part of it. Both legs cramped and I could not walk. I stood there leaning over my bike while others slowly climbed the hill. I didn't care. After a minute or two I was able to walk across the street and sit in the shade with my back to the road. I sat there holding my head waiting for the sag wagon for a ride up the hill. I could not continue. My heart rate was low, but I could not catch my breath. Weird. Is that another thing caused by dehydration? After 5 minutes a sag wagon appeared. "Are you okay?" I couldn't talk, I couldn't think, I couldn't be driven the last mile in a sag wagon! "Are you okay?" they repeated. I don't remember what I said. Something like I just gotta sit here a while, check back. I was still a little winded. I slowly stood up and tried to get started. I couldn't get in my clips. It took three revs to get into the toe clips. I was starting out in a steep climb. oh god.... I weaved back and forth on the street to cut the slope down a little. I slowly recovered and could maintain 4mph. I hit a short flat and then up the LAST part of the climb. It was awful. I could hardly turn the pedals over. People were lined at the edge of the road to encourage us. They were clapping, shouting encouragement saying "You’re doing good, just a little way to go!”. All I could do is shake my head as if to say "NO, I FELL LIKE SHIT, I’M DYING HERE” A kid hollered "only 50 yards to go" He might was well have said a mile to go, I could not figure out how far that was. I still could not see the finish line. I muttered "How far?" to another person. "Just around the corner" It was close. I could not look at any of the people on the side of the road, all I could do is look at the road in front of my bike. I didn't want anyone to recognize me feeling so badly. I got around the corner and there it was, the finish line!!!! I glanced at the ride time, and rode to the 1st open piece of grass and fell on my side and laid there! I slowly recovered and started eating and drinking... Proof of dehydration:The last four days I have weighed 170# in the morning. I weighed myself when I got home and I weighed 165# Now that is not bad until you hear what I ate b/4 I weighed myself.

At the end of the ride I ate and drank
3 ice cream cones
3 servings of some good veggie stuff
at least 3 quart sized water bottles of water
3 small orange juices
In the car on the way home I ate and drank
1 1/2 water bottles
a bunch of nuts and Kashi shredded wheat
At home I drank more water, then walked upstairs and weighed myself, 165#I would not be surprised if I weighed mid to lower 150s when I crossed the finish line.All in all the ride was... fun I guess. But, I will have to think hard b//4 deciding to ride it again :)

It is now a week after the ride and I am already looking forward to riding the HHH next year!

4 Comments:

Blogger John said...

Monty you should come up to EC and ride with us on our daily HHH! Keep the pedals ticking and the water a-drinkin'!!

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where are those 3 mile climbs at??

9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
»

11:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»

7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home