Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Mid-week Weekend Update!

So this weekend was the 5th race of the WORS mtb series hosted here at EC, and I was going to be sure as shit no one came into my house and beat me. Saturday I road the course, welcomed Chad, Chase, TJ, Matt, and Mark into Murray for the night, ate out at Cancun (awesome Don Burrito), and watched a crappy 'scary' movie.

Sunday woke up made a shit ton of pancakes and eggs for the crew, b.s'ed, and watched the Tour de France coverage. Got to the race course and it was hot as balls, not a cloud in the sky, but luckily a little breeze. I got my call up, and lined up next to Mitch (who I respect, because he's wicked fast and like 17). We got under way and I just stuck to Mitch's wheel like it was my lifeline. After hammering out a lap we start the second lap and while rallying some singletrack, Mitch ahead of me, Mitch I'm guessing didn't see, or judged a corner too close, and wound up plowing into a tree. He went down for the count and I kept riding (such is racing). The rest of the race I was on my own in the lead, numero uno, and catching elite riders that were let out minutes before our wave. On the final lap after putting in hard efforts the whole race, the heat, the pace, the physical demands of the course started to take it's toll. Everytime that I'd get out of the saddle my quads would cramp up, and to make matters worse I caught a glimpse of a dude from my comp-wave catching up. I tried to fend him off till the singletrack (where I could easily compete, if not loose him) but to no avail. He caught me said some encouraging words informing me that we weren't in the same age group and dropped me; I was in no condition to respond. I managed to hang on with what I had left and finished 1st in my age group and 4th overall--easily my best finish ever!

After the race I wanted to die, my body was completely done and for the rest of the night I was still feeling spent. Even in my condition, I did end up grilling out at Owen Park with Hannah, her roommate, and friends. After dinner we cruized down the river on some tubes (first time doing that) which was a great relaxing way to end the day--floating lackadaisically down the Chip in the waning hours of day drinking a Leinie's Sunset Wheat--fuckin' A!

3 Comments:

Blogger Muraski said...

I added you to my links biznatch!

8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey John
I dont know what your plans are for this week and next, if you are working or whatnot, but if you are free and are interested in some Superweek action, you are welcome to join Bill the Beast and I. Once again, I think of these things at the last minute. Give me a callat 920-838-2209 if you wanna come tear it up. Later.
Tony

10:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home