Thursday, May 25, 2006

R and R

These past couple of days have really gone by. As of late I've been entertaining myself by 'training,' hanging out at the bike shop (I can't believe I'm that guy), and pretty much chillin'. I find it funny, my bro always feels that he's being a bad host cause he has to work and then after we don't really do much besides hang out and watch movies, but honestly after last semester I could use the rest- thanks bro for letting me be a bum at your place.

I got my grades in and I guess I wasn't skirting the 2.5 that I was freaking out about a month ago. I ended up with a 3.39-so that's pretty huge especially cause I got a A in Min Pet II and a B+ in Sed Strat. Really when it comes down to it at this point in my college career I don't care too much about grades in classes outside of my major.

Switching gears, riding around the greater Oshkosh area I'm not going to lie pretty much sucks. I was here all last summer and I could bearly find anything that would qualify as a hill. In EC we know how to roll the 5 min climbs at least, here your lucky to get out of the big ring. Though I do have to say, in Osh-vegas' defense, you do learn pretty quick how not to be affected by headwinds. I swear I was riding into 15 mph winds for an hour. Whining aside there are a couple jems out here...
Hopefully I'm able to get some good workouts in this weekend since both MNSCS and WORS decided to have all their races on the same weekends!! Whatever, maybe I'll get a hold of Monty the old(60?) One Man Wreckin' Crew!! I shit you not that man can throw down on any ride over 75 miles.
Funny story, last summer for S and G's I called him up for a ride around the lake (100mi) and of course he was up for it. We leave early and fast. I was cruzin' at 165 bpm within the first 10 miles and I knew this was going to be a bitch by the end. Because I talked a lot of trash around the shop, I knew that I wasn't going to be the first one asking to slow down. So Monty, myself, and my pride rolled on at 20-25 mph. Around 70 miles we had a massive headwind coming around the short end of the lake, and Monty goes to the front and pins me at 180 bpm for about 10 minutes. I pull around, thinking I could help out and give him a break, and he pulls right back around me saying, "I don't care if you draft, but I don't like to." At this point I couldn't help myself and decided it would be best for the both of us, in the end, if I hide. We made it into O-town at 5 hours-see you tommorow, good riddens. The next day at the shop, he comes in and asks me how I feel, I say pretty trashed, he agreed. He asked if I had planned on going that fast, I said "shit-no!" "well then why didn't you say anything, I definitely wasn't expecting on going that fast" "I wasn't going to be the one to tell you to slow down I thought you wanted to go that fast" "So we spent 100 miles wondering whether the other person wants to ride as fast as we were going?" "I gues so..." We both laughed. Monty the one guy that deserves the bike he rides.

Sorry about the long-windedness, but hey it's better than every post being a photo blog. Well I think I might make myself some tuna. Peace.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey John,
Feel free to crash at our house if you ever need to when you're on this side of the state. I think around Oshkosh you're supposed to find headwinds, it's like finding hills around here.

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home