Sunday, June 11, 2006

This One Had It All

The Craig-man and I rolled out today for a little taste of epic. To acheive this feat we decided to drive out of town about 20 miles in hopes that we could hit some crazy climbing south-east of 121. Ladened with drinks and powerbars to boot, we cruized through the town of Eleva to start our ride. Almost instantly I regretted the decision of leaving the arm warmers behind--it had to've been high 50s-low 60s. Starting so far south of town it was kind of wierd climbing the hills I'd would normally be climbing after an hour or riding, but that was the point. The overcast skies, occasional rain, and the cooler temperatures reminded me of a bike tour I did in Scotland when I was a junior in high school. Funny story about that, the first day had to've been like 70-80 miles and it rained, was sunny, rained, overcast, windy, crazy, and I was on my old Klein mtb suffering like a dog. By the end (raining) I was bonked out of my mind, but I did make it to the hostle alive. I went into my room, took off my soaked crap, got into some warm clothes and underneath my sleeping bag, opened up a box of granola layed it by my face and proceeded to eat-but fell asleep possibly mid-chew.

Anyways, so today was awesome I tell ya. We spent most our ride climbing up Montana Ridge, skirting along the top, or slammin' some crazy switchback decents from it. The views were simply spectacular. (this is where I'd put a picture, if I'd not forgotten the camera, of a really sweet relief photo) Up the climbs Craig and I twisted the screws trying to see when the other would crack, but we pretty much matched it up today. We stopped about an hour from the car at a general store, that was crazy back country; some old guy was makin' sandwiches and wrapping them in butchers paper for the only other people in the place. I grabbed a coke and a fig newton for the ride home. In the end we rolled into Eleva at 4 hours 70-something miles and with some blue skies--a perfect end.

Other than riding a lot, I've been occupying myself with trying to buy a suit for my sister's wedding. I think I found one that I really like, but it's pin-stripped, which is a problem since I'm in the wedding and I kind of need a black suit. We'll see what shakes out of that ordeal. Besides formal wear, I've been chillin' with H-bomb a lot catching up, b.s'in and the like...pretty boring.

Just throwing this out there, a great quote from The Usual Suspects, "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist." Peace.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sova Bros said...

Sweet! I like epic. So what happens south of south John? Bigger and better, or does it flatten out nicely? Ohh, and good advice to Tristan, I tried the whole everclear thing this morning, and I don't even have sinus issues. Whammy!

2:30 PM  
Blogger John said...

South of South gets really hilly. We did a 5-6 min gravel climb! It was freakin' sweet.

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I figured out the route for the Dirt road ride. Looks pretty ridiculous. Lots of long steep climbs with no traction!! This will be more epic than last sunday!!!!! Sign up now!!

11:13 PM  
Blogger John said...

Euro-Trash Ride here we come! What day?

12:16 PM  
Blogger Sova Bros said...

Sign us up! Let us know when you get a date. Don't forget that we are expecting both of you guys to be up north here for the 12 hours at the park, june 25th. Bring a rockin' team.

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home